College dorm burglaries are the number one security threat accounting for 70% of all crimes committed on campuses across the US.
Electronics like laptops, mobile phones, tablets, and watches are the prime targets of thieves looking for an easy steal.
You can invest in an insurance policy, but it will usually only cover a fraction of the lost belongings (10% to 20%). That’s why, if you live on campus, you must invest in a reliable safe that will protect your laptop. A robust safe will prevent 99% of possible attempts at theft.
Just remember to follow these safety rules:
- Affix the safe to your bed, a wall radiator, or any other durable piece of furniture with a steel cable included in the package. You may also want to consider bolting it to the wall, but make sure you won’t violate any college dorm rules by doing that.
- Keep your safe out of sight to avoid attracting attention to it.
- Keep the keys or passcodes with you at all times.
- Be disciplined about leaving your laptop in the safe when you leave the dorm. In a few days, it will become a habit that will serve you well.
Let’s take a look at the top laptop safes available on the market right now:
1. ECR4Kids Lock and Roll Portable Under-Bed Personal Safe
- Lockable rolling storage container
- Low profile is perfect for under-bed storage
This is the number one choice for the vast majority of college students. It’s perfect for a dorm room because it’s extremely low profile. At the same time, it provides you with the security you need to keep your belongings safe.
It has four wheels so you can easily roll it under the bed and keep it out of sight. It’s pretty large (26.5 x 16.3 x 5.8 inches), so it will absorb a computer of any size.
Best of all, it comes with a durable steel cable (70”) with a carabiner. You can use it to attach the safe to any large piece of furniture (like the bed under which you will keep it).
With that cable, you will make sure that no one will run away with your safe to open it elsewhere. Of course, the cable can be cut with a strong bolt cutter, but it should repel the vast majority of would-be thieves.
The only minor drawback here is that you’ll need to close the safe with a security key. But if you keep your keys always nearby, you should be completely fine.
2. Caesar Safe Portable Electronic Digital Car Multipurpose Laptop Safe
- Easily fits under a bed or trunk of a car for concealment
- Durable solid steel construction; steel tethering cable resists cutting
Here’s a high-tech device that will nevertheless be appropriate for a college student. It’s a large digital safe (16.6 x 12.6 x 5.3 inches), which you can easily hide under your bed or in a closet.
It’s made of steel, and it has a digital lock, which fortunately can be overridden with keys attached in the package. The digital lock operates on four AA batteries (also included in the package).
Keep in mind that the width of your laptop could be 16 inches max, as this safe won’t swallow up a machine with a 17-inch screen. What makes it great for storing a computer is that it has a foam padding inside that will help you avoid any scratches. And yes, it also comes with a sturdy steel cable so you can keep it secure.
The only drawback here is that the safe weighs 15.52 pounds, which might be a bit unwieldy.
3. Barska Digital Portable Lockbox
- Electronic Lock: The lock box comes with an easy to program digital keypad that...
- Lock Out Mode: The lock box will enter lock-out mode if the incorrect PIN is...
This is an inexpensive security box with large dimensions (17.5 Inches x 12.5 Inches x 5 Inches, 16.5 lbs.) It’s big enough, even for a 17-inch laptop. It also has some extra space you can use for other belongings such as cash, credit cards, passports, jewelry, or relevant documents.
A great thing about this model is that it has a protective liner that will keep your stuff from getting scratched. This is important because, as a college student, you will put your laptop in an out of the safe almost every day. You want to make sure that your electronic equipment stays intact over the months and years.
Like all the other models here, this safe comes with a steel metal cable you can use to affix the lockbox to your bed. Yes, it’s possible to cut it with a bolt cutter, but if you keep it out of sight, you will be completely secure. After all, a thief escaping a dorm with a huge safe would surely be noticed by security cameras and other students on the campus.
4. Vaultz Locking Storage Box, 6.5 x 19 x 13.5 Inches
- Protect your valuables in your dorm room. Great for laptops, tablets, wallets,...
- Dual combination locks - security cable tether included to keep your chest in...
That’s a big storage box perfect for a female student who wants to keep her belongings secure. It comes in eight different color patterns (from black to pink). It’s not like you want to show off your safe to all students on the campus, but the design part is essential.
It’s large enough to pack even the largest among laptops (Height: 5.5, Internal Width: 17.5, Internal Depth: 12.5 inches). It also has mesh netting inside that allows you to organize the items you place in it.
Unfortunately, this model is not as reliable as other safes listed here. It’s good for basic privacy, but if someone has experience and a few minutes to tinker with it, it is going to pop right open. That’s why, if you use it to store your computer, you better keep it out of sight or grab some of the other, more secure models.
5. AmazonBasics Biometric Fingerprint Safe, 0.7 Cubic Feet
- 0.7-cubic-foot safe with fingerprint-touch technology for quick access; ideal...
- Biometric fingerprint sensor with 500 DPI semiconductor; excellent match speed...
This model designed by Amazon will give you extra protection you need for an expensive piece of electronic equipment. It comes in many different sizes, but for the college dorm room purposes, the best one will be with 0.7 ft³ of safe space.
It has interior space measures about 16.8 by 12.2 by 6.9 inches (L x W x H), so it’s large enough for the vast majority of laptops. However, if you are sporting a 17-inch wide machine, this won’t be the right model for you.
All in all, this is an excellent high-tech safe with a biometric fingerprint sensor. It will recognize your fingerprint in less than one second. It also has a backup key for emergency use just in case. The only thing is that you would need to mount it to the floor or a wall, which can be kind of a drag for a college student. However, once you put it in place, no one is going to touch your stuff.
6. SentrySafe X105 Security Safe With Digital Keypad, 0.9 Cubic Feet
- Protect your valuables with this home security safe, complete with carpeted...
- Set your own digital combination security safe for protection from theft or...
This is another model that will be perfect for storing electronics. It has 0.9 ft — ³ of space, which should be more than enough for your laptop and other valuables. You don’t have to bolt it to a wall or the floor as it comes with steel cable you can use to tether it to a fixed object like your bed or a closet.
It also has a soft carpeted interior that will prevent you from getting scratched. On the interior, it has these dimensions – 16.8″ W x 11.6″ D x 8.7″ H. That’s perfect for most computers.
The only drawback here is that it uses AA batteries, which you have to replace once a year to keep it functioning.
7. Best Dorm Safe Back To School College and Dorm Essentials Vault
- The only safe designed for college life. Practical and Effective
- Dormvault attaches to furniture with a patented bracket system.
This is a peculiar item that won’t give you 100% protection, but it will still deter the majority of would-be thieves. It’s up dorm safe that you put on the wall and fasten it with a steel cable.
It has detachable shelves, so if you take them out, you make room for a small laptop (up to 11 inches wide), tablet, and other belongings. What I like about it is that it’s easily accessible, which is great for busy students running around the campus. Unfortunately, it’s made of plastic, so it’s not the most secure option here.
8. ROVSUN 1.8 CF Electronic Security Safe Box
- LARGE CAPACITY: 1.8 cubic feet; overall size – L 13.7'' x W 13'' x H 19.6'';...
- SAFE & SECURE: Made of solid steel and thickened door, it achieves great...
That’s something you would use if you want to deter 100% of people who would want to mess with your stuff. Yes, it’s a little bit more expensive than other models listed here, but it’s completely secure and offers 1.8 ft³ of space.
With the dimensions of L 13.7” x W 13” x H 19.6″, it’s more than enough for a laptop with a 17-inch screen. It has shelves inside, but you can remove them to make more space for your stuff. It works on AA batteries and comes with four predrilled holes you can use to mount it to the floor or wall.
All you need to do to open it is to use a digital PIN or an override key. The only drawback here is that every time you open it, you’ll hear a loud “beep” sound. If you want to get rid of it, you would need to remove the little speaker on the board.
Are you ready to keep your computer secure?
Electronics are prone to get lost in the college environment. If you don’t keep them out of reach and out of sight, it’s more than probable that someone will snatch them away.
Invest in one of these safes, but also use your common sense when dealing with other students in the dorms. Never lend your keys to anyone, close the door every time you leave, and consider using inexpensive devices such as security cameras or door alarms to bolster your security level.
After all, your computer is worth more than money. You use it to store some of your most important documents and personal data.