Most web developers encounter issues in the web-dev process because of improper planning, and not poor execution.
It’s the habit of many a developer to jump on a new trend and get excited by fresh app features and possibilities.
But in the end, they often end up with nothing but mistakes, confusion, and frustration.
A web app may attract millions of users and having a perfect idea for an app can drive millions of eyeballs to come back to it regularly.
To achieve this web-dev dream, you need to make a vision that will be not only compelling but also workable.
Why planning is crucial in web app development?
Proper management of the whole web development process will smooth things out and help you avoid common pitfalls.
Conversely, the absence of planning will lead to bugs, disappointed consumers, 404 errors, and every other issue that can crop up during the early stages.
You can’t build an app overnight, and you need to follow a proper process for web development. It all depends on the procedure you follow that will make or break the project.
In this article, I’ll discuss the best plans and processes that will make your application a success story.
Before diving into the exact steps, let’s explain the idea of web project management. Web project management is a process required for delivering a new app or website to provide a great experience for consumers.
Practicing project management helps you to identify specific steps and milestones that you’ll need to reach in the web development process. It’s also crucial if you want to distribute work among your team members.
So, without further ado, let’s check the must-do steps of a typical web-app-dev project.
6 Steps To A Successful Web Application Project
Step 1: Thinking long and hard about the concept of your application
The initial analysis allows you to clarify and organize your idea for a web app.
There are a few things you should ask yourself during this stage:
- What’s the goal behind building your web application? What exactly do you want to develop and what purpose does it serve?
- What is the primary benefit for the users of the app you’re developing?
- Who is your targeted audience, and what are their needs and wants?
- What is the main reason the audience will get attracted to your application?
- What is the scope of the project? What are the specific milestones and deadlines?
- What will be the size of the team required to make it happen?
- What is the timeline, and what kind of project management tool will you implement to track your progress?
- What is your budget, and are you willing to go over it if necessary?
Once you answer all these questions, you’ll have a basic plan for your web application. This will help you get approval from your client or other stakeholders.
Analyzing the objectives of your web app at the very beginning will help you meet your goals much faster.
Step 2: Start Building Your Web Application
Before your team implements your brilliant idea and encounters the first challenges (there will be many), it’s essential to have a meeting where you’ll set goals and expectations.
During the session, each member of the dev team should get a fair chance to meet and communicate with people involved in the project and learn about each other’s involvement and specific roles.
If you have an external website development service team working for you, you must make sure they are also present during the meeting. This meeting will help you better define your project with your team members.
Make sure that at the end of the meeting, everyone has answers to the following questions:
- What is the scope (time, cost, humans, constraints)?
- What is the definitive breakdown of the tasks in the project, and who does what?
- What are the budget of the client and the time required for developing the project?
- What are the main dependency points of the project?
After getting answers to each of these questions, on an office whiteboard, you will sketch a detailed plan for your web application processes.
If you are planning this project for your client, you will need your client’s approval as well to kick off the development procedure.
Step 3: The “Aha” Phase
The beginning of your web development phase must be followed by the “aha” (discovery) phase.
Here, you and your clients (stakeholders) can determine:
- The practical vision for your project (building a software blueprint).
- Recognition of different tools and technologies for web development processes.
- Evaluating the minimum value of the web application.
- Draft of the framework and plan expansion.
- Stripping off the inessential functions and improving users’ happiness with the product.
With the help of the “Aha” phase, you can eliminate the chances of any significant risks involved in web application development.
You also get to know several scenarios and opt for the best option for yourself.
This phase helps you create a complete backlog for your application, and you can prioritize your processes accordingly.
Taking time for laying rock-solid groundwork will provide you with a defined set of frameworks for effective project development.
Step 4: Layouts and Designs of Your Web Application
Designing is an initial stage in web application processes.
It helps if you plan several color schemes that attract the consumer could enjoy (bright green, adamantine, turquoise, deep violet, etc.) This is about the psychology of color and your target audience.
Beginning with a low consistency layout or mockups is efficient for creating substantive ideas that repeat with end-to-end users and the web application inbuilt to use.
If you have any external team working with you, it’s essential to cross-check whether their work is oriented as per your vision or not.
Having tools that allow the user feedback on design will make it easier and simpler for the web developer to make the requisite changes.
Step 5: The App Evolution Phase
The web application development process requires the support of several infrastructures according to your needs.
After following the above steps correctly, you will come to a point where you can create a budget-friendly web application. You might need a two to three weeks discussion with the development team to provide an efficient web application.
One of the most subtle approaches for web development is delivering an application that continuously delivers value and flexibility as per the project’s scope. Try to keep your complete procedure transparent.
Two elements make your web application a success:
- Quality: to deliver a product with excellent quality, you need to have questions and answers with your specialist team to increase the productivity of your application. Effective quality delivery is an ongoing procedure that integrates the development processes continuously.
- Preparation for launch of your product, so it goes smoothly and gets a positive response from users. Ensure that your web application works as per your version and can sustain heavy traffic.
Step 6: Three… Two… One… – Launch!
Web application launch is an exciting period for both the users and the team of developers. But this can also be the worst phase for your web development.
Ensuring the site ranges from SEO ranking is essential. If any issue is raised with ranking, your dedicated team members can resolve the issue. After accessing every case, you can transfer the web application to your clients.
Ensuring that the web application will hold to your vision is not an easy task.
You need to have proper planning to solve any issue that comes to your path of developing the web application and delivering the highest quality application. Happy developing!
Download your free PDF and learn about the top tools used by freelance writers.Get it here